John A. GamonDepartment of Biological Sciences California State University, Los Angeles 5151 State University Drive Los Angeles, CA 90032 USA Phone: 323-343-2066 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research and Academic Interests
Dr. Gamon’s research involves the application of optical tools for studying plant ecophysiology, ecosystem gas exchange (photosynthesis, respiration, and evapotranspiration), and plant biodiversity. He also studies the impacts of disturbance (fire, drought, climate change) and species composition on ecosystem processes. Recent work has included the development of SpecNet (Spectral Network), an international network of collaborating sites and investigators combining optical and flux methods to understanding ecosystem-atmosphere gas fluxes.
- Gamon JA, Rahman AF, Dungan JL, Schildhauer M, Huemmrich KF (2006) Spectral Network (SpecNet): what is it and why do we need it? Remote Sensing of Environment. 103: 227-235.
- Gamon JA, Cheng Y, Claudio H, MacKinney L, Sims D (2006) A mobile tram system for systematic sampling ecosystem optical properties. Remote Sensing of Environment. 103:246-254
- Gamon JA, Kitajima K, Mulkey SS, Serrano L, Wright SJ (2005) Diverse optical and photosynthetic properties in a neotropical forest during the dry season: implications for remote estimation of photosynthesis. BioTropica. 37(4):547-560.
- Ustin SL, Roberts DA, Gamon JA, Asner GP, Green RO (2004) Using imaging spectroscopy to study ecosystem processes and properties. BioScience 54(6):523-533.
- Stow DA, Hope A, McGuire D, Verbyla D, Gamon J, Huemmrich F, Houston S, Racine C, Sturm M, Tape K, Hinzman L, Yoshikawa K, Tweedie C, Noyle B, Silapaswan C, Douglas D, Griffith B, Jia G, Epstein H, Walker D, Daeschner S, Petersen A, Zhou L, Myneni R (2004) Remote sensing of vegetation and land-cover change in arctic tundra ecosytems. Remote Sensing of Environment 89:281-308.
- Rahman A. F., V. D. Cordova, J. A. Gamon, H. P. Schmid, D. A. Sims (2004), Potential of MODIS ocean bands for estimating CO2 flux from terrestrial vegetation: A novel approach, Geophysical Research Letters, 31, L10503, doi:10.1029/2004GL019778
- Gamon JA, Huemmrich KF, Peddle DR, Chen J, Fuentes D, Hall FG, Kimball JS, Goetz S, Gu J, McDonald KC, Miller JR, Moghaddam M, Rahman AF, Roujean J-L, Smith EA, Walthall CL, Zarco-Tejada P, Hu B, Fernandes R, Cihlar J (2004) Remote sensing in BOREAS: Lessons learned. Remote Sensing of Environment. 89: 139-162.
- Rahman AF, Gamon JA, Fuentes DA, Roberts DA, Prentiss D (2001) Modeling spatially distributed ecosystem flux of boreal forests using hyperspectral indices from AVIRIS imagery Journal of Geophysical Research. 106(D24):33,579-33,591.
- Gamon JA, Field CB, Fredeen AL, Thayer S (2001) Assessing photosynthetic downregulation in sunflower stands with an optically-based mode. Photosynthesis Research 67:113-125.
- Gamon JA, Surfus JS (1999) Assessing leaf pigment content and activity with a reflectometer. New Phytologist 143:105-117.
- Gamon JA, Serrano L, Surfus JS (1997) The photochemical reflectance index: an optical indicator of photosynthetic radiation-use efficiency across species, functional types, and nutrient levels. Oecologia 112:492-501.