Dr. Alicia Castillo ÁlvarezCentro de Investigaciones en Ecosistemas Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México Antigua Carretera a Pátzcuaro No. 8701 Col. Ex-Hacienda de San José de La Huerta C.P. 58190 Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico. Tel. (52) 443 322-2720 Fax (52) 555 623-2719 E-mail: email@example.com
Dr. Alicia Castillo Álvarez is a professor in Biology, the Faculty of Sciences, UNAM . She received her Master of Science in Museums from the University of Leicester in Britain and her Ph.D. in Environmental Education from the University of Reading, also in Great Britain.
Currently, she is a primary investigator at the Investigaciones en Ecosistemas de la UNAM, located in the city of Morelia, Michoacán. Her studies include the following:
1) The processes of generation, communication and uses of ecological knowledge
2) the social dimensions of ecosystem management covering issues such as perceptions about the environment, the analysis of interactions between different social sectors and the analysis of institutions that regulate the management of ecosystems.
- Troncoso, K., Castillo, A., Masera, O., and Merino, L. 2007. Social perceptions about a technological innovation for fuelwood cooking: Case study in rural Mexico. Energy Policy 35 (5): 2799-2810.
- Pujadas, A., and Castillo, A. 2007. Social participation in conservation efforts: A case study of a biosphere reserve on private lands in Mexico. Society & Natural Resources 20 (1): 57-72.
- Maass, J.M., Balvanera, P., Castillo, A., Daily, G.C., Mooney, H.A., Ehrlich, P., Quesada, M., Miranda, A., Jaramillo, V.J., Garcia-Oliva, F., Martinez-Yrizar, A., Cotler, H., Lopez-Blanco, J., Perez-Jimenez, A., Burquez, A., Tinoco, C., Ceballos, G., Barraza, L., Ayala, R., and Sarukhan, J. 2005. Ecosystem services of tropical dry forests: Insights from long-term ecological and social research on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. Ecology and Society 10 (1).
- Castillo, A., Magana, A., Pujadas, A., Martinez, L., and Godinez, C. 2005a. Understanding the interaction of rural people with ecosystems: A case study in a tropical dry forest of mexico. Ecosystems 8 (6): 630-643.
- Castillo, A., Torres, A., Velazquez, A., and Bocco, G. 2005b. The use of ecological science by rural producers: A case study in Mexico. Ecological Applications 15 (2): 745-756.